Sunday, January 29, 2012

Where is Winter

The leaves have fallen,the holidays have come and gone. We had a hint of what winter weather should be like.....however Winter is ignoring us and in a big way. I am sure that I am not alone in feeling a bit slighted by the folks on the other coast who have had more of a winter than we have had. As a gardener, I want to embrace the awesome mild days by pruning, raking, planting something that will endure the elements.

I look at the first two months of any new year,as physical vacation months. A time for the body to rejuvenate and relish the breather between seasons. If the weather continues to be nice......I will have to resort to ending my seasonal siesta and start playing catch up in the gardens.....and not just mine.....but the multiple gardens that I manage. Let's hope that we get more signs that this is really winter .....and soon.

Today I actually saw Winter Jasmine blooming with the beautiful golden yellow blooms that are normally touched by snow or ice. The Witch Hazel blooms looked like little pompons dangling from their twiggy supports. Daffodil foliage has stretched through the mulch, preparing for the welcome show that they will produce over the next month or two. I can't wait til I get the ok to embrace Spring sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment