Friday, April 27, 2012

Wow...April has come and gone..and I have been a little busy

Whew.............what a month....near drought, continual garden clean up...a touch of rain.....more garden clean up....sounds like work right???  Well not really.  Gardening is my passion, so I do so happily and with enthusiasm.  What have I been doing....well.....

attempted to control some crown vetch in a beautiful Georgetown garden.......still working at it....a little
more to go....no chemicals......

installed a small purple garden for a purple loving gardener....purpleicious.........

continued to enhance a Ladies garden in Wheaton - this garden epitomizes what every girl wants in her garden...or at least this Particular Lady :)

journeyed to my Virginia retreat/project to observe the building of a cairn and yet another hand laid stone wall (photo's later) 

observed May Apples growing alongside the stream at The Virginia Project as deer, rabbits, foxes and bears roamed along the waterside and the ridge above

paid for a garden plot at the new Fiesta Community Garden's in District Heights, Maryland, my neighborhood, where I will share my journey in growing my own vegetables organically and practicing different techniques such as Square Foot gardening, natural water gardening and anything else they let me get away with....like my rain barrel used when I gave a talk on Sustainability in the Garden to end Earth Week

started working on a personal project "African American Gardening....Rooted In The Land".  I have often wondered how African Americans lost touch with what we KNOW - which is the land and how to use it to feed not just our bodies but our spirit.  I will most likely start a separate blogspot where I will focus on this topic extensively.....

started working on formalizing a trip to the Chelsea Garden Show in England in 2013....details to follow....as well as other garden focused trips locally for local gardenaholics...details to follow

will begin filming my botanical garden journey to sites in the DCMDVA and anywhere else I can get to in my truck, Ms. Red........I do have a trip planned.  I am heading to Laurens, South Carolina to walk the land that my Great Great Grandpa Alfred Hunter grew food to sustain his wife Laura and his family.  He was a slave, a sharecropper and eventually a South Carolinian Statesman and I am honored to be a descendant of this Lakota Indian/Negro and his Ethiopian wife.  As I learn more about how this sharecropper, merchant, legislator lived, I will share.....I AM SO PROUD!!!

So............please continue to follow me and share the word about this blog and I will share my horticultural journey, hints and tips and other things that interest me......

In the meantime..........garden like YOU MEAN IT.........

Check back for photos of what's blooming in my garden NOW on Sunday..................





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment