Thursday, February 20, 2014

Yet another thing to try...............BOKASHI

If I keep reading my way through winter's end, I will have a bucket list five miles long!!!  That would only be for all the methods of gardening that I want to try this season....not all the things I NEED (in my world) to grow.I will never leave my yard at this rate....however, I seriously need to try a method of composting - high speed composting...I guess this could be compared to High Sped Internet.

I like to slow compost.....primarily because I work full time, consult on gardening part time and piddle in my garden between times, trying to make sure that all things beautiful can be found right in my own piece of this earth.  Sometimes, I simply forget to turn my piles, so slow composting works for me....afterall, what's the rush?  Gardening is an activity that is best savored and not rushed....like a fine wine....sipped and not gulped.  
However, I think I need to try BOKASHI.....just because I love the sound of the name and it will benefit my garden immensely.  I want to join the Bokashi Revolution to have compost fast....well faster than I do now.  Bokashi is actually cold composting  using effective microorganisms or EM1.  45 years ago Dr.Teruo Higa discovered that there were microbes the feed the soil.  A combination of these microbes, yeast and beneficial bacteria is the engine that drives Bokashi.  This method of composting requires an airless  anaerobic environment that basically ferments the food scraps. Some people even put meat, dairy, weeds with seeds in their Bokashi containers with optimal results.  Almost odorless (smells like vinegar) Bokashi can be done indoors.  The basic ingredients for an indoor method of composting is a bucket with a tight fitting lid, 10 lbs of any organic material from rice/wheat bran, bark chips, and molasses, 10 cups of warm water, molasses and EM1.  These ingredients will ensure that ou create a good batch of Bokashi..

The beautiful thing about Bokashi is that the scraps we throw in the trash or down the garbage disposal can be reused in the garden via recycling and reducing what we take to the land fill. This is a beautiful thing to me!!!

Something else to occupy my time.....not as fun vermicomposting.......but a lot less time to wait.  Here are some resources suggested by Urban Farm Magazine, which has instructions for your own Bokashi stash for this growing season.

www.bokashirevolution.com

www.gardensfromgarbage.org

www.teraganix.cm

I simply cant wait to try some  indoor Bokashi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment