Saturday, May 11, 2013

Savoring....

I normally do not make time to read magazines in the morning, however Friday morning I for some reason found time to pause. I picked up a Prevention magazine that had been lingering around my home office. Amidst the articles on health and happiness, was an article on savoring.

Savoring has been proven to help with individuals state of well being. Now this would make  common sense to most, however as humans we often lose site of what makes life enjoyable and what is REALLY important. This article suggested that we anticipate in advance how pleasurable an experience will be, really experience the moment and finally savor the memory of the experience. This is awesomeness to me and very real.

I do this when I enter the garden. I anticipate daily what I might see new in the garden before I go out into it.  When I actually get into the garden, oh the joy of watching it come alive seasonally never ceases to amaze me. Of course, the memory and usually the dream of what I just experienced is just awesome and I carry it with me throughout the day.. ...and people wonder why I smile a lot. 


However it is not just about the garden.  It is about life in general.  I had the opportunity to share a day with my co-workers at the DC Food Bank.  We collectively pulled together food bags for Senior citizens and weekend bags for children who are less fortunate than most.  I cannot tell you how much it meant to me to see my work family pull together and make a difference.  All week long we had discussions, ordered boxed lunches, made sure we had enough water and breakfast bars, made sure that all employees who wanted to participate had transportation to and from....quite honestly we were anticipating and savoring the moment all week.  When Friday came we donned our red t shirts, grabbed our waters and breakfast snacks....boarded the buses from Reston Limosine and headed off to do what we do in an A+ manner....after all, we represent Akridge.

It was a joyful day and we packed those bags, had lunch and watched a video about how our good deed for the day would make a difference.  There are people who have to make a choice of medicine or food, three meals a day or one, how to make a single item stretch for days and how it adversely affects the family as a unit....as well as the children.  I cried because I KNOW people personally who did not plan on asking for food donations, who have been homeless and children who receive weekend bags.  They are in my community and yours, personal friends and acquaintances.......they could be folks you see everyday....and just not know it.  Could we not know because we have not taken the time to savor a relationship/friendship?  If we cultivated that relationship, did we savor the moments of time spent, conversations had and experiences shared - no matter how insignificant to us at the time or did we simply take it for granted...after all, we assume that there will always be a tomorrow....right?  When we reflect on time spent, do we savor the moment(s) or just consider it just another day???  Savoring...........I like that concept.  I plan on savoring the moments and actions that I do from this day on.  I will not take for granted that there will be a tomorrow or that I will see the people I interact with ever again in life.  I will savor all time spent with my family, work family, friends, acquaintances and all people I meet along the way.   Here are some photos of my work family and I making a difference, in an A+ manner on a warm Friday in May......
 


 
Getting our instructions ......


 
The team that pulled this all together.......


 
Joyously receiving the positive remarks from Mr. Akridge......

 
Here's that A+wesome team again.....

 
Arming himself with water , Mr. Akridge prepares to bag with a purpose....


Touring the warehouse where all of the donated food gets sorted...look at those potato's...

 
Even though this looks like a lot, it will merely put a dent into what is needed to feed those less fortunate than most......


 
Breaking for some sun after lunch...and a time to reflect......

 
Ready for round II as we prepare to assemble the weekend bags for the children......

Savoring............................quite a concept....

Here's to you Tim Hutchison.........I will savor the memories of conversations and time spent.............

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment