Thursday, January 2, 2014

Snow Reflections.....


I am in District Heights, Maryland. It is snowing and I am in a very reflective mode. Not thinking about t he last few bulbs that will not make it into the ground, but will most likely be planted in the Spring. I am reflecting and  remembering moving here about ten years ago. I honestly bought my house for the yard.  I thought of all the things I could do with it's gentle curves, mixed exposures - from full sun to part shade to shade, sloping terrain and mature trees.  I love mature trees and District Heights is full of them. Some need more help than others, but they stand ever so gracefully along the streets, branches gently embracing you as you enter our community along Gateway Boulevard.  It wasn't just the trees that caused me to pause, nor was it the little yellow ice cream shop that I understand has been here for ages (it really needs a garden to welcome all newcomer's and residents alike to our little City)  It was the aura of the community, the people who I saw walking, waving and the feel of a community with firm foundations.



I remember my first snow here.  I was in awe of the beauty that surrounded me daily, that I absolutely took for granted.  I wandered around in the middle of the night, wanting to capture the moment, but scared that pictures were forbidden.  I walked along the woods line on District Heights Parkway...all the vines that looked brown and unsightly, were all dusted with fluffy cotton balls of snow.  Bending in grace, awaiting to be frozen in time, if only for a night. I remember, as I walk the City tonight and see the awesomeness unfold around every corner....

walking by the woodland green space...


strolling in the street sans cars, plows or salt trucks...


a bench that says "pause, sit on me and recognize the beauty that surrounds you......"


what is at the end of this street or even along the way.....


dusted with snow, like confectioner's sugar, these trees make me want to break off a branch and feel the sensation of a burst of a trillion icicles in my hands...along my face...it is nature, after all...(yet another site that needs to have an interesting native planting  to demonstrate the beauty that surrounds us)
 n

another borrowed view that makes me want to run and see what lurks beyond the snow laden branches.....


As I walked I noticed the borrowed view, while in some eyes, this was merely an alley. In my eyes this was simply a borrowed view, inviting me to wander down to see what was at the other end. On a brighter, warmer evening, I will remember this view and take a stroll down to see what is in store that just might be an inspiration. There are many borrowed views within the City of District Heights, but in order to see them, one must wander outside and enjoy the briskness of the season,

From the woodlands, where in the Spring and Summer, there are some awesome native ferns nestled under the comforting branches of the mature trees to the streets with in the community, District Heights dusted with snow makes me feel as though I am in a fairy tale land, far away, where everyone is good, kind, honest and
connected with the land and their little piece of heaven.

.


District Heights is my little piece of heaven, right here in Maryland..................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment